Monday, January 1, 2018

How I came to Veiling



I thought to share my experience with veiling...
When I first came to read the Bible I was very ignorant about religion....I was able to read the Scriptures rather freely having heard and known little to nothing about the theologies of men. I soon met a fellowship whose faith & living example inspired me to believe & obey the teachings of this Jesus character I was reading about. I was wrestling with believing in Christ because no one I knew was obeying His teachings; not even in the "Churches". I ended up forsaking my life ambitions, selling a good portion of my belongings & giving some away, stepping out in faith to obey Christ... The believers I lived & traveled with adorned themselves with shamefacedness & modest apparel as the Word teaches (even the men wore long tunics for modesty). The women did not cut or style their hair but used what "nature" had given them as a covering citing 1 Corinthians 11 for this conviction:
1 Corinthians 11:14-15 " Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
That made a lot of sense to me....I already had long hair and I never really liked cutting it; so I went on believing as they did.
About 12 years had passed and one of the sisters who appeared to be getting unstable in her walk questioned the Brothers whether or not the hair was the covering or a cloth. I thought she was really losing her understanding....For some reason, in all my years I never made a connection that some who professed Christ wore cloth coverings....I don't think I noticed women of such sort or knew that is why they had something on their heads. Time passed and my dear sister-friend left the fellowship...I saw her sometime later at a home "Church" where a man approached me and wanted to teach me about women covering with a cloth covering. He opened the Scriptures to me and pointed some Scriptures out. I heard him and was willing to consider what he shared. Time went by and I was no longer a part of that fellowship....I met other believing women who used cloth coverings....then I learned about a man named David Bercot who put together a historical teaching regarding early Christians veiling. 
Over 14 years on pilgrimage for Christ and I never knew about the early Christian women veiling their heads! The facts Bercot presented made a lot of sense....and the
 1 Corinthian 11 passage made much more sense...seeing how Paul was only using nature itself as an example that women ought to cover with a cloth....if he had only been speaking of the hair that would mean men would have to keep their heads shaved, 
1 Corinthians 11:7 "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

Through *early Christian writings we learn that women veiled not only during services but whenever they were in the presence of men because it was considered a part of their modesty & disrespectful to do otherwise. Later on in history there became a controversy as to whether or not virgins also needed to veil....I never heard of controversy between whether or not the covering Paul spoke of was the hair or a cloth in history until about 100 years ago. I believe this is because men & women had finally reached utter failure in keeping the Apostolic tradition (also referred to as a commandment). You can see throughout history for thousands of years women upheld the covering of their head and their bodies....but the coverings became vain & ornate bonnets, then hats, then little doilies, until they were not only lacking a veil, but also their clothing became less & insufficient. 


To see examples of the changes in covering throughout history click on the following link:



Thus was born ignorant generations knowing little to nothing of women veiling or dressing modestly. So now there is us, a lost generation ....having to research and dive into history to find clarity & examples of truth pertaining to conducting ourselves as the Holy Women of Old (unless we receive divine revelation on the matter alone). There was an understanding and a faith once delivered unto the saints that is seldom seen in our time. And Jude was even exhorting the godly of his time to earnestly contend for the faith:
Jude 1:3
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
Notice what Jude says after the above statement:
Jude 1:4  For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
These ungodly men have prevailed by their offspring into our present times...turning God's grace into lasciviousness, handing out fraudulent licenses to remain in sin & darkness....
But the true grace of God...(Titus 2:11-12 )  "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;"

Getting back to my personal experience... That grace of God was working in me to search out this head covering issue through study & prayer....as I realized this was what the first church believed and practiced there was no reason I should do otherwise; I saw the only thing holding me back was a fear of the humiliation from adhering to such a practice....I didn't realize that I actually had pride in my heart concerning my natural covering. I didn't think I did because the attention I got from my hair had irritated me from childhood... throughout my life, I had tried to think of ways to divert people from associating me with my hair: dying it green (I didn't actually do that, just a thought) putting it in numerous tiny braids (that actually still got me compliments, I wasn't wanting) then I finally thought to shave my head, thanks be to God that didn't work out! So, when it came time to really get the attention off my hair I saw that a part of me was holding unto pride in my hair, I saw I needed to destroy that pride, and that veiling was an act of humility (if done for the right reason)...I began to veil....I was surprised how different the general public looked at me and treated me: men were opening doors for me & giving me respectful nods, people began to approach me and ask me what my religious beliefs were, somehow the covering was speaking to people's hearts that I was religious & they wanted to hear about it....
On the contrary, when I thought my hair was my only covering and I wore it down and uncut, people often approached me in awe of the glorious natural covering I had; they wanted to touch it and talk about it...men were especially drawn to me and some assumed by my appearance that I was a "hippy chic" and perhaps into "free love".  I remember sitting in a park one day and a man who was far across the park walked over to tell me how much he liked my hair and how it caught his eye across the park....
The cloth covering freed me from being a magnet to carnality. It was a blessing to see how something as simple as a veil on my head had the power to drastically change people's response to seeing me. It has been encouraging to have men share an appreciation for the modesty.
 In my experiences interacting with men, many are attracted to a woman's hair. Godly men find the covering of a woman's hair to be more peaceful and less of a distraction. Even if a woman has her body covered, the hair being uncovered can draw more attention to a woman's beauty and bring unnecessary distraction to a man's thoughts. The femininity of a modestly covered woman with long glorious hair adorning her can be more of an attraction than a worldly immodest woman. Now, this is when some women object saying, "should we wear bags over our head! Men will lust on anything, why should we have to be uncomfortable when they are the ones with the lust issue!?" The motivation to cover should be love, love for God, and love for man...we all have our weaknesses....what if you couldn't eat chocolate but it was your favorite, and someone started baking sweet good-smelling brownies and eating them in front of you when they knew how much you like them and can't eat them....what if they thought well I want a brownie, she'll just have to get over it! If one truly loves God and man they won' have such a hostile response to the idea of covering. They won't care so much about their own discomfort as they will care for that of others.
 I do have occasional reproach to bear from those who lack understanding about covering; but I would rather bear reproach and be free & set apart for the glory of God and in obedience, then please people who did not die to save me from sin and death and the power of the enemy.
 I encourage all who have yet to embrace veiling to seek the Lord, and ask yourself what holds you back. Is there pride in the heart, fear of man, not persuaded it is God's will?

If any other ladies have a testimony on the issue of how they became persuaded to cover and would like to share it on this blog, feel free to email your testimony for consideration. God's work in each of our lives can have unimaginable power in the lives of others...don't be afraid to declare His doings.

P.S. We do not veil because it says to "pray without ceasing" this is not a good reason to give for veiling. There is a time to cease from praying and a time to pray.
I would say veiling has more to do with obeying the command (ordinance, apostles doctrine) and following the godly example of the early Christians.

Acts 2:41-42  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Notice how Paul starts off talking about veiling:

1 Corinthians 11:1-2  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

He is teaching us the ways of Christ, and giving  **ordinances to
follow.


**ordinance:
"an authoritative order; a decree.
synonyms:edictdecreelawinjunctionfiatcommandorderrulerulingdictumdictatedirectivemandate"

For further understanding and edification please listen to an audio sermon my husband shared on the topic:
A Teaching on the Headcovering


* To see some early Christian quotes about veiling click on link:
http://holywomenofold.blogspot.com/2013/01/head-covering.html

No comments:

Post a Comment