Sunday, October 25, 2020

Does obedience make you a Pharisee?

 MORNING MUSING May 18, 2018

It stood out to me as we read from Luke last night. . .

I have crossed paths either in the real world or through the internet with people who have strong confidence that Jesus is their Lord. Some of them know they sin willfully but are deceived by false doctrines that apparently teach that their past, present, and future sins are washed away and there is nothing they can do to lose their salvation. This is so far from the reality of what the word of God plainly says....(study it honestly without commentary if you are also believing such a deception you will find many verses and warnings teaching we are to, "go and sin no more." The fear of the Lord along with His grace can keep us from willful sin.)

Many people confidently come before the Lord, singing His praises and think themselves kings and priest, prophets & prophetesses, "kings daughters" , etc;

They do not see themselves honestly. They see some good things in their lives, like:



"I FAST TWICE A WEEK"


"I DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY"


"I TITHE TO THE CHURCH"


It reminds me of this:


Mark 10:17, 19-23 "
And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him,
---------- One thing thou lackest:

go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!"


This man did a lot of good things, but he still lacked something. Something he apparently wasn't wanting to give up.


We must never be overconfident in our walk of faith. Sadly many are boldly proclaiming themselves "SAVED" when Christ & even others can clearly see what they are lacking.


Many today throw around the word "PHARISEES" and have redefined it to mean someone who takes Christ's words sincerely and applies them to their life so much that it causes a drastic change in their character and actions. Such as modest dress, sobriety, shamefacedness, head-covering, meekness, loving neighbor as self, denying self, etc.


When in reality according to this description a Pharisees is one who trusts in themselves that they are righteous, acceptable to God and SCORN others.


Many of the people who quickly and scornfully call the obedient "PHARISEES" fit the description of a Pharisee much more accurately as they scornfully condemn those who take Christ's word to heart, calling out railing accusations, mocking and laughing.


Read this:



Luke 18:9-11, 13-14 "And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself,

God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying,

God be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."


When I first came to know Christ I came to Him as the publican, aware of my sin and need for a Saviour. Just because we have been in the Faith for so long a time doesn't mean we should start acting like the Pharisee that thinks he is acceptable to God. There is always a possibility that there is one thing that we are lacking as the young rich man was. We need to hold on to a broken, contririte & sincere spirit before the Lord and never despise "sinners" We all start out sinners in need of a Saviour. Over time His Word and Spirit washes and cleanses us, we are to be as a bride preparing for the Good man to come take us, washing out spots and ironing wrinkles, hoping we will be found acceptable of Him in that day.


Paul said he had not yet attained, he did not see himself as having "arrived", he had faith and hope and he earnestly served God and labored to keep his flesh under him.


Philippians 3:8-14 "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,


And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:


That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;


If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.


Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.


Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended:


but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,


I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."


(And please don't get confused, obedience to Christ's teachings is not "one's own righteousness", it is simply doing what is expected of you as a student of the Master Christ.)

Anyhow, this musing is longer than I expected..... enjoying the idea of keeping ourselves humble and aware of our own needs and not being overly confident. We walk by faith, we labor to do the good we know to do and hope in His mercy as we earnestly seek Him to perfect that which is lacking in our life. And we never look down on those who are overcome in faults or lost in sin, we pity them, pray for them as the Spirit leads, show compassion and never make them a centerpiece of scornful conversation.

Thanks be to God for His grace that teaches us the better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment